Information Release Kokoda Youth Leadership Challenge
The Mittagong RSL Club Limited is calling for applications from young men and women aged 17-25 years of age from the Southern Highlands Area to participate in this year’s Kokoda Youth Leadership Challenge across the Kokoda Trail in Papua New Guinea from 29th September – 10th October 2018.
The objectives of the program are to:
• Foster an understanding of the cultural diversity and environment of our nearest neighbour, Papua New Guinea
• Encourage a commitment to community service;
• Develop adventure-based skills
• Enhance the personal development of participants;
• Provide an opportunity to trek the Kokoda Trail to experience the conditions under which our Diggers fought and died for our freedom in 1942; and
• Prepare participants for future leadership roles within our Australian community.
The Kokoda Youth Leadership Challenge should be something young Australians aspire to do. The program will only benefit those who appreciate the privilege of being chosen and who are willing to learn about the Kokoda campaign prior to their departure. They should also be willing to commit to a rigorous physical training program to ensure they are physically capable of completing the program
Applicants should therefore demonstrate a strong desire to participate in the program – an added preference is for young people who have had a relative serve in the Kokoda campaign, or other conflicts. This desire can be measured by a willingness to conduct personal research in order to gain an understanding of the Kokoda campaign prior to the final selection of the participants.
Applicants should be able to fulfil the following:
• Aged between 17 – 25 years of age for the Young People’s Trek.
• Appreciate the privilege of being chosen and who are willing to learn about the Kokoda campaign prior to their departure;
• Willing to commit to a rigorous physical training program to ensure they are physically capable of completing the program;
• Applicants should therefore demonstrate a strong desire to participate in the program. This desire can be measured by a willingness to conduct personal research in order to gain an understanding of the Kokoda campaign prior to the final selection of the participants;
• Provide a personal report back to the Directors and Members of the sponsor Club or association about their experiences and personal development whilst on the Trek
• Ability to attend a KYLC workshop on 12th May 2018, at Canterbury Hurlstone Park RSL Club, 20-26 Canterbury Rd, Hurlstone Park NSW 2193;
• Be able to travel – Young People’s Trek during the September 2018 NSW School Holidays 29th September to 10th October 2018
• Currently have or be able to obtain a passport;
• Obtain relevant vaccinations;
• Cover out of pocket expenses, estimated at approximately $1,000 AUD.
The opportunity to participate in a trek across the Kokoda Trail is a privilege akin to a $6000+ scholarship. Participants should therefore understand that it is not a prize, a gift or a right – it is a privileged opportunity to develop personal leadership skills based on the values our Kokoda veterans held dearly – these include personal discipline, mutual respect, trust, mateship, courage and self-sacrifice
Applicants for the 2018 Kokoda Youth Challenge should be physically fit, interested in the history of the Kokoda campaign and be willing to help build a better community on their return.
Those interested in the program should contact Craig Madsen, General Manager, Mittagong RSL Club Limited to obtain a copy of the Application Form and Trekkers Guide for the 2018 Kokoda Youth Leadership Challenge. The contact can be made via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications can also be download from the Club’s Web Page by just clicking the Kokoda Youth Challenge Link on the page or by dropping into Club Reception and requesting and picking up an application package.
Applications open on 15th February 2018 and will close at 5pm Monday 9th April 2018.
Mittagong RSL Club Limited
Click here to view the 2018 KYLC Trekkers Guide 2018 online.
Click here for the 2018 KYLC Trekkers Guide 2018 download.